The subject here is the lighting list.
In Part 1, the panel discussed who does what, and the difference between the American & European systems.
(click on any image in this post for a larger version)
The panelists: Vilmos Zsigmond, ASC, gaffer James Plannette, gaffer Reuben Garrett, Michel Abramowicz, AFC, best boy Matthew Butler and moderator Benjamin B
1. the panel
A reminder of the panel which included 2 cinematographers, 2 gaffers and a best boy:
– Vilmos Zsigmond, ASC – cinematographer
– James Plannette – gaffer
– Michel Abramowicz, AFC – cinematographer
– Reuben Garrett – gaffer
– Matthew Butler – best boy
The event was initiated by Marc Galerne of K5600 Lighting, with the additional support of Jacques Delacoux of Transvideo. The video was shot by young cinematographer Eloi Rimmelspacher. I did the editing.
2. the lighting list
The cinematographers, gaffers and best boy discuss their lighting list.
watch on YouTube
- Vilmos shares the difficulty of giving a list early, and talks of using Tungsten and HMIs
- James recites a lighting list
- Michel alludes to difficulties convincing production managers, and talks of Kino Flos
- Reuben defines practicals and stresses the importance of taking them into account
- Benjamin evokes the use of industrial lights
- Matthew describes the give and take with the production manager
Cinematography master Vilmos Zsigmond, ASC
Master gaffer James Plannette
The seminar and videos are dedicated to the memory of Gilles Galerne.
PART 1 of DPs and Gaffers poses the question: Who Does What?